Thesis Information Session Presentation
Honors Thesis Option 2019/20
Course Instructor (from July 1, 2019):
Dr. Debra Jared email@example.com
Psychology 4850, 4851, 4852
- Full year, 1.0 credits
- Must be registered in final year of Honors Specialization in Psychology or Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience
- independent research project under supervision of a faculty member (perhaps cosupervised by postdoctoral fellow or senior graduate student).
- appropriate for those who want experience with Why do you want such experience?
- Warning – Not for everyone. Requires extensive commitment to research, discipline and self-direction.
What is Involved?
- Find a supervisor (Two-step process –we’ll come back to this!)
- Plan project with supervisor (summer/early fall)
- Write thesis proposal including ethics application for the research (Sept – Oct)
- Present proposal to classmates + seminar coordinator (Oct- Feb)
- Recruit volunteers, conduct research and analyze data (Nov - Feb)
- Write up thesis (Sept-March): Due early April
- Poster presentation (late March)
Finding a Supervisor
- Instructions will be posted at http://www.psychology.uwo.ca/undergraduate/honors_thesis/index.html
- Also at OWL Project Site: 2019-2020 Psychology Thesis Match
- Application form will be posted in late Jan
- Between late Feb and late March, you apply to (and possibly meet with) potential supervisors (Application form deadline:March 1, 2019)
- You submit your ranked list of preferred supervisors in late March (March 28, 2019).
- Matching is done as soon as we’ve heard from all supervisors, and you will be told the outcome as soon as possible – by late April at the latest
- Read the faculty websites
- Know what a professor works on, but it’s okay to not know what that is! You may want to obtain (and read) some papers from labs that interest you
- You don’t have to have a project planned. Keep an open mind – don’t just pursue your existing interests. Maybe consider a new one…
- Contact more than one professor. You may well not get your first choice (or your second).
- Point of the exercise is to gain research experience. Topic is secondary.
Matching with a Supervisor
You will hear sometime at the end of April who your thesis supervisor will be, via e-mail. Note that this does not guarantee that you are eligible to take the Honors thesis course.
Enrolment in HSp module is processed through Psychology counselling.
Thesis Course Evaluation criteria
- Thesis proposal
- Class presentation
- Poster presentation (visual and spoken)
- Written thesis (evaluated by supervisor and second reader)
- Participation and engagement