Honors Thesis - Course Information Psychology 4850E, 4851E, 4852E


Prof. Debra Jared (djjared@uwo.ca)

The Honors Thesis is a culminating experience for many students. It involves you conducting independent research under the supervision of a faculty member. This is a rewarding experience, but a lot of work. If are interested in applying to complete an honors Thesis in 2021-22 please consider the information below and complete the application procedures by the deadlines.  

An information session will be held on January 28, 2021 over Zoom. If you are interested in attending this session please complete the form found at: https://uwopsych.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_7PV300UYWr6x8P3.


General Information

All honors psychology students registered in the 4th year of the honors Specialization programs in Psychology and Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience are required to take Psychology 4850E - Honors Thesis or Psychology 4851E – Honors Thesis (Science) or Psychology 4852E - Honors Thesis (DCN).

Psychology 4851E is reserved for students in the Honors BSc Psychology program who wish to count their thesis toward the 6.0 credits of "Science-approved" Psychology courses that the student must take as part of this module. Students enrolled in Psych 4851E must be conducting psychology research in cognition, sensation and perception, behavioral or cognitive neuroscience, or developmental cognitive neuroscience, and be supervised by psychology faculty members conducting research that would fall under the NSERC mandate.

Psychology 4852E is reserved for students in the 4th year of the DCN program. If you are a 3rd year DCN student you need to contact the head of the DCN program during your 3rd year to discuss plans for your honors thesis project and supervision.

All other students must register for Psychology 4850E (including HBSc students supervised by psychology faculty members who are conducting research that does not fall under the NSERC mandate, e.g., SSHRC research areas).

Course Prerequisites: Psychology 3800F/G is a prerequisite for Psychology 4850E and 4851E. In addition, Psychology 4850E students must have taken one of 3184F/G, 3185F/G, 3285F/G, 3480F/G, 3485F/G, 3580F/G, 3780F/G or 3840F/G, and Psychology 4851E students must have taken one of 3184F/G, 3185F/G, 3285F/G, or 3485F/G. Psychology 4852E students must be enrolled in the 4th year of the DCN program.

Who should apply?

All students currently in an Honors Specialization program in psychology should apply, and all students who are hoping to transfer to the HSp should also apply.

The process for choosing a thesis supervisor will happen in two rounds.

In the first round, only students who will have completed both Psych 3800F/G AND a Research Methods In course (i.e., one of Psychology 3184F/G, 3185F/G, 3285F/G, 3480F/G, 3485F/G, 3580F/G, 3780F/G, 3840F/G, 3860F/G) by the end of April 2021 will be able to apply to be matched with a supervisor. Students who are admitted to the 4th year of an Honours Specialization in Psychology program and who meet all requirements for the thesis course are guaranteed a thesis supervisor.

After program adjudication in June, any students who are admitted to the 4th year of an Honours Specialization in Psychology program but who are missing one of the two prerequisites for the thesis course can apply to be matched with a supervisor. HOWEVER, special permission to take the thesis course in conjunction with the missing prerequisite will be given ONLY if a supervisor is available. In other words, students who will not have all of the prerequisites for the Honours Thesis course will be on a wait-list and are NOT guaranteed entry to the course.

Application Steps

STEP 1. Join the OWL Site Psychology Thesis Match 2021-22 https://owl.uwo.ca/portal/site/d393e95f-8d3b-4dac-914c-f6ed61426d20

STEP 2.  Download the Psychology Honors Thesis Supervisor Application Form for 2021-22 (under Forms) and complete it. Upload your completed form under Forms. 

STEP 3.  Explore potential supervisors. Contact potential supervisors to discuss the possibility of supervising your thesis. Send them your application form when you contact them. They may wish to meet with you individually or in a group with other students.

Potential supervisors are full-time faculty members in the Psychology Department.
Full time faculty and Cross appointed faculty may act as supervisors.  



If you would like to work with adjunct faculty, please consult with Dr. jared, thesis course co-ordinator.

N.B. The following faculty will NOT be supervising students in 2020-21: TBA 

You should contact and consider working with multiple supervisors. You must list at least 6 potential supervisors that you would be willing to be supervised by.

STEP 4.  Rank your choices of supervisors by completing the appropriate survey tab on the OWL site by April 9, 2021.

STEP 5. Faculty will rank their choices of students. Matches will then be generated. We will do the best we can to match you with a thesis supervisor as far up your list as possible. Some research areas (e.g., clinical) are much more popular than others, however. Some people will not get their top choice, or maybe even their second or third choice, depending on who they have listed. It is in your interest to check out potential supervisors from a few different areas. We will never assign you to someone that you haven’t listed on your application – if a match isn’t possible given the list you’ve submitted, we will work with you to find an acceptable match.

STEP 6. You will get a supervisor if you are admitted into the Honors Specialization Program. Some matches may be done early, but most will be done after the adjudication process in late May when it is clear who has been admitted into the program. You will hear who your thesis supervisor will be via e-mail.


Frequently Asked Questions

Q: I already have supervisor who has agreed to supervise me. Do I need to do all of the applications?
A: Yes. If you list the supervisor as your top choice, and they list you as their top choice, you will be matched. We still require you to complete the application process so that we can match all students in a fair and organized manner.

Q: Can I do my thesis with Professor X?  
A: Full Time and Cross Appointed faculty can supervise thesis students. Consult Dr. Jared, thesis course co-ordinator if you wish to work with a cross-appointed faculty member.


Q: I don’t know if I’ll get in to the Honors Specialization program. What should I do?
A: If you are applying to get in to one our Honors Specialization programs you should apply to the Thesis Course.  We will be matching supervisor concurrently with adjudication to the program (though having a supervisor will not be part of the adjudication process).

Q: I didn’t get into the Thesis Course! What can I do?
A: There are many other paths to getting research experience. These include working or volunteering as a research assistant, or completing an Independent Study course for credit.