Special Permission Instructions

Special Permission Instructions for missing prerequisites (see section 1) and courses which are full (see section 2):

1. Instructions for requesting Special Permission from Instructors regarding missing prerequisites and what to do next with that permission.

In order to get the Special Permission that you are requesting (ie. the waiving of prerequisites, or doing prerequisites concurrently with the course), you need to contact first the instructor of the exact course/section that you want the Special Permission for via her/his e-mail, to explain your situation and to request authorization. You must be EXPLICIT in your e-mail to the instructor regarding exactly what it is that you are asking (specifically which course, term, section, and which prerequisites you do not have and whether you are asking for those prerequisites to be waived or whether you will be doing the missing prerequisites concurrently with the course, etc.). Please include your student number in the e-mail. It would be most helpful (although it is not obligatory) if you copy and paste your Academic Summary into the initial email so that each professor may make an informed decision (otherwise, it is difficult to assess/verify your suitability as a candidate for his/her course). Once the professor has replied to you, if authorization is granted for you to register for that particular course, then forward the professor’s reply to us at psycouns@uwo.ca (DO NOT copy and paste the professor’s reply. We must see the original e-mail).

- To look up the instructor of the course/section, look in the Timetable (once it is available for the academic period that you want to register in) at: http://www.registrar.uwo.ca/course_enrollment/timetables.html.

- To obtain the instructor’s e-mail address, please refer to the Western Directory at: http://www.uwo.ca/westerndir/index-people.html.

- To copy and paste your Academic Summary (unofficial summary transcript) into the e-mail, go to:
student.uwo.ca > Academics > Documentation > Web Academic Report > (Under Report Type choose "Web Academic Report") > then click "view report". The process may take a few minutes to complete. Please do not press any other buttons or links while the processing is taking place. When the summary appears, you may either copy and paste it into the e-mail to the professor, or save the .pdf and attach it to the e-mail.

Again, once (and only if) you’ve obtained the Instructor’s permission, forward the instructor’s reply to psycouns@uwo.ca (we need to see the ORIGINAL e-mail from the professor, so on the Western e-mail (mail.uwo.ca) select “Forward” when in the reply message and it will attach the original reply) and we will respond to you with further instructions regarding the next step in the Special Permission process.

2. Procedures for courses which are full.

Regarding Main Campus Psychology courses sections which are full, keep checking online (several times a day if possible) from now until 3 days prior to the last day of Add/Drop for that term (around mid-September for Full-year courses and Fall half courses, and around the 2nd week of January for Winter half courses) to see if a spot opens up, and if so, register immediately. In the meantime enroll in the Psychology course(s) that have space and will still fulfill your modular requirements, and then if room becomes available in your first preference(s) you can enroll or do a swap.  (Feel free to contact the instructor to see if they are keeping some sort of waiting list that the instructor may refer to during the last two days of Add/Drop.)

However, if Main Campus Psychology Course is still full 3 days prior to the last 2 days of Add/Drop for that term, then at that point you may e-mail the instructor to request permission to be added despite the course/section being full. THERE IS NO GUARANTEE THAT THIS PERMISSION WILL BE GRANTED BY THE INSTRUCTOR, so your best chance is to keep checking online for a spot.  If Special Permission is granted during the last two days of Add/Drop to go over the course capacity for a particular student, then print out the reply from the instructor and bring it to the Psychology Academic Advising Office (SSC 7402) during those last two days. Again, you must provide written and clear permission from the instructor.